The College Counseling Process
With a smart approach to College Counseling, WT inspires students to realize their fullest potential and prepares them to take their place in the global community. WT students are admitted to the nation’s finest colleges and universities year after year, which is a testament to their academic accomplishments and aspirations, as well as to their participation in a sound college process.
WT’s experienced College Counseling staff offers:
- Personalized guidance in a four-year process starting in ninth grade, incorporating advice on course selection, timing of graduation requirements, extracurricular choices, summer opportunities, and more, to ensure each student stretches and grows during the important Upper School years, while also preparing intelligently for a successful college application process
- Informed advice about AP courses and standardized tests so that students and parents can make informed choices about which courses and exams to take
- 70-80 visits a year to WT by some of the nation’s most well-regarded colleges and universities, so that students have the opportunity to learn about the vast array of options, and to make connections with the colleges they are most interested in
- Hands-on preparation for the intensive college process, including mock interviews (to learn interviewing skills) and presentation skills for college campus visits
- Summer Workshops on “Writing the College Essay,” to ensure each student receives intensive guidance on this highly important component of the application
- Letters of Recommendation from a staff of counselors who know each student as an individual and understand his or her strengths and interests
- Perspectives from inside the world of college admissions, through visiting presenters from college and university admissions and financial aid offices, as well as highly respected college guidance consultants. A College Night is scheduled annually for sophomores, juniors, seniors, and their parents.
- The Junior Seminar, a required course taught by the College Counseling staff, which focuses on all aspects of the college process, and includes several campus visits
- Naviance, a robust online college-planning tool for students and parents
- A periodic e-newsletter for students and parents, providing advice and tips as well as reminders and updates, so that families are well-supported in managing the details of the college process
- Intensive, one-on-one guidance for seniors—including guidance on creating the college list, application review, compilation and submission of all applications, follow-up with college admissions officers to ensure each student receives the closest possible reading, and assistance in making a final decision on where to enroll
- Technical Support for Online Application