Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a 10.5-month School Nurse, beginning in the 2019-20 school year, with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2019. The School Nurse will be responsible for coordinating, planning for, and providing direct services to ensure that the School’s health program is carried out in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He/she helps to maintain the health status of students and that of the School as a whole.
The School Nurse provides support in a manner that advances and upholds the mission and philosophy of Winchester Thurston School. The key responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive school health services program for students following best practices and the guidelines of the School and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; ensure that reports required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are prepared and submitted in a timely manner
- Maintain the health office in a clean, orderly and safe condition; dispose of biomedical waste and hazards according to establish procedures; maintain inventory and order first aid supplies as necessary; ensure medications are secured in locked cabinets
- Provide first aid for illness or injury to students and employees, documenting nursing assessment, diagnosis and treatment; notify parents, guardians and/or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) providers, as needed
- Observe and report any unusual behavioral finding or unsafe student activity to school administrators; assume responsibility for intervention and work with the School Counselor to determine steps in supporting students with mental health issues
- Remain up to date on changing laws and regulations related to student health, immunizations, etc. and recommend policy and procedural changes based on these laws
- Maintain student health records and accident reports including treatment records/logs, emergency medical information, immunization records, disability and allergy information, and mandated screenings (e.g., hearing, vision, etc.)
- Assure students have updated immunization records; review records and notify students/parents of follow-up shots; prepare letters or exclusion notices and notify parents and Head of School, as appropriate, being sure to track requests sent home
- Receive and review student health files incoming from other schools; communicate with other schools as needed to clarify or obtain information
- Administer medications and perform procedures according to physician orders; ensure physician orders for individual student medications and/or treatments comply with requirements for administration
- Provide health teaching and counseling, as requested, and actively participate in participate in programs or activities related to health prevention and awareness for students and employees; organize annual flu shot clinic for employees; provide information and/or training to employees regarding first aid practice, blood-borne pathogens, accident prevention, communicable disease information, etc.
- Inform teachers on an as-needed basis of health conditions of students which may affect behavior, appearance or scholastic performance
- Collaborate with parents and agencies within and outside of the school community, to ensure continuity of service and care for students; provide referrals as needed for students to update immunizations, receive care, etc.
- Maintain professional licensure through required continuing education
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Valid Registered Nurse licensure is required; a BSN or School Nurse Certification is preferred
- 5 – 7 years of experience in nursing practice
- Experience in an education setting or in working with children
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with students, parents and colleagues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and 3 references to: email@example.com
Please reference “School Nurse” in the subject line of your email.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.