Lower School Spanish Long-Term Substitute Teacher
Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a Lower School Spanish Long-Term Substitute Teacher from late April through June 7, 2019. The Lower School Spanish Teacher provides instruction and supervision for students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through grade 5 at both the City and North Campuses. The Lower School Spanish Teacher is responsible for planning lessons, teaching a specific number of classes in the assigned division, and maintaining discipline. The individual must work as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators. Following are the key responsibilities:
- Teach Pre-Kindergarten through grade 5 Spanish classes at two campuses, managing the curriculum, discipline, and classroom community and environment.
- Plan and execute lessons, using varied methods of instruction and assessment, that are in accord with divisional curriculum and the school’s educational philosophy.
- Work as a team member with teaching colleagues and administrators by attending all school-wide meetings, department meetings, Lower School faculty meetings, and in-service days.
- Maintain an appropriate and organized classroom environment with an emphasis on child safety and well-being.
- Communicate regularly with parents in an effective and timely manner through a variety of means, including email, telephone, student progress reports, and parent notices.
- Complete student assessment reports (e.g., grades reports, interim comments, etc.) in accordance with school guidelines and the deadlines established by the Lower School Division Director.
- Fulfill duties that are connected with non-academic responsibilities, including but not limited to, taking attendance, lunch and recess duties, chaperoning field trips, after-school events or grade-level trips, and other assigned duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in Spanish or Education
- Strong command of Spanish language, appropriate pedagogy related to language acquisition, and experience teaching Spanish
- Experience teaching in an elementary setting
- Strong communication skills for working effectively with colleagues and parents
- Ability to utilize educational technology in the classroom
- Educational philosophy that is consistent with that of the School
- Independent School Teaching Experience
- Responsive Classroom Experience
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and recommendations to:
Director of Lower School