General Maintenance Worker
Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a full-time General Maintenance Worker. The General Maintenance Worker provides support to the Director of Buildings and Grounds and the Assistant Head for Operations. This individual works as part of a team in collaboration with the Lead Facilities Technician to assist the Director of Buildings and Grounds with his responsibilities for the planning, management, care, and appearance of all campus buildings, grounds, vehicles, and physical plant systems as well as recordkeeping, security, and materials storage. Physical plant systems include, but are not limited to, kitchen equipment, heating and air conditioning, communications, and furnishings. This is a “hands on” non-exempt position that will have a Tuesday – Saturday (10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.) work schedule.
The General Maintenance Worker should have a general knowledge and working competence related to light construction (carpentry, plumbing, etc.), building systems, security, and facilities maintenance.
- Complete plant maintenance jobs including, but not limited to painting, carpentry, minor building repairs and maintenance, and special projects
- Perform grounds keeping tasks, such as mowing, trimming, landscaping, snow removal, pathway clearing and salting
- Complete facilities tasks including, but not limited to refuse and recycling management, safety prevention and mitigation, and supporting cleaning staff
- Help train faculty, staff, and students in the use of facilities hardware, software, and services
- Document and assess problems as well as determine the appropriate equipment needs and/or system requirements
- Coordinate outside vendors and contractors under the direction of the Director of Buildings and Grounds or the Assistant Head for Operations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Training and hands-on experience in construction trades and/or maintenance fields
- Experience in facilities and/or maintenance experience within a school environment is preferred but not required, and experience with HVAC and building automation systems is a plus
- Proficiency with basic technology (email, web searching, helpdesk ticketing systems)
- Excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Proven ability to analyze situations, employ creative and effective decision-making to solve problems and achieve results
- Ability to excel in a team environment that emphasizes cooperation and mutual respect
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Willingness to work some non-traditional hours, as necessary, to fulfill project requirements or resolve system failures
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference “General Maintenance Worker” in the subject line of your email.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.