Winchester Thurston School, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 independent school in Pittsburgh, announces a search for a 12-month Facilities Technician beginning in the 2019-2020 school year. The Facilities Technician provides key support to the Director of Buildings and Grounds and the Assistant Head for Operations. This individual works as part of a team in collaboration with the Lead Facilities Technician to assist the Director of Buildings and Grounds with responsibilities for the planning, management, care, and appearance of all campus buildings, grounds, vehicles, physical plant systems and other related work as well as physical plant budgets, recordkeeping, security, and materials storage. Physical plant systems include, but are not limited to, kitchen equipment, heating and air conditioning, communications, and furnishings. This is a “hands on” non-exempt position and will involve an irregular schedule including weekends and evenings.
The Facilities Technician is expected to have a general knowledge and working competence related to light construction (carpentry, plumbing, etc.), building systems, security, and facilities maintenance.
- Complete plant maintenance jobs including, but not limited to painting, carpentry, minor building repairs and maintenance and special projects
- Perform grounds keeping tasks, such as mowing, trimming, landscaping, snow removal, pathway clearing and salting
- Complete facilities tasks including, but not limited to refuse and recycling management, safety prevention and mitigation, and supporting cleaning staff
- Help train faculty, staff, and students in the use of facilities hardware, software, and services
- Document and assess problems as well as determine the appropriate equipment needs and/or system requirements
- Coordinate outside vendors and contractors under the direction of the Director of Buildings and Grounds or the Assistant Head for Operations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Training and hands-on experience in construction trades and/or maintenance fields
- Minimum of three years of facilities and/or maintenance experience within a school environment is preferred as well as experience with HVAC and building automation systems
- Proficiency with basic technology (email, web searching, helpdesk ticketing systems)
- Excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Proven ability to analyze situations, employ creative and effective decision-making to solve problems and achieve results
- Ability to excel in a team environment that emphasizes total cooperation and mutual respect
- Strong organizational and have time management skills
- Willingness to work some non-traditional hours, as necessary, to fulfill project requirements or resolve system failures
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com.
Please reference “Facilities Technician” in the subject line of your email.Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.