Director of Athletics
Winchester Thurston School (WT) is a nationally recognized and innovative coeducational Pre-K through grade 12 independent day school in Pittsburgh. Serving more than 700 students, WT has enjoyed record enrollment and growth with its innovative curriculum and excellent interscholastic sports program. With more than 70% of Middle and Upper School students participating in 10 different sports, students not only strengthen their athletic skills but also develop character, self-control, teamwork, sportsmanship, and commitment.
WT seeks a Director of Athletics for the 2020-2021 school year, with a start date of July 1, 2020. The Director of Athletics is responsible for the leadership, supervision, and coordination of the interscholastic athletics program. This includes selection and management of coaches, management of equipment and facilities, programmatic planning, and scheduling and communication.
The Director of Athletics reports directly to the Head of School. The individual in this position will make decisions and handle most duties and responsibilities independently, though in accordance with established procedures and policies, and will seek direction from the Head of School in unusual or unique situations. The Director of Athletics must work closely with the Athletic Department Coordinator as well collaboratively with faculty, staff, students, parents, internal and external coaches, schools, and vendors.
The Director of Athletics will be responsible for the following major duties and responsibilities:
- Develop, organize, supervise and evaluate the school’s program of interscholastic athletics for the entire school body
- Fill coach positions with competent coaches who are properly trained in all organizational and philosophical aspects of the athletics program
- Schedule all athletic events not otherwise scheduled by the Western Pennsylvania Intermediate Athletic League (WPIAL)
- Coordinate game management to ensure the Director of Athletics, the Athletics Department Coordinator, or if necessary, another WT representative is in attendance at every home athletic event
- Schedule all referees/officials, scorekeepers, and timekeeper for all home games and arrange for their payment
- Coordinate transportation for both games and practices
- Arrange outside field and facility usage/rental
- Work closely with the Assistant Head for Operations, the Facilities Manager, and outside contractors to ensure proper maintenance and security of all athletic equipment and facilities, fields, and courts
- Maintain records of team and individual athletic accomplishments and submit athletic information to the Director of Marketing and Communications for school publications and/or distribution to local media
- Oversee the athletics budget
- Act as the WPIAL/PIAA school representative
- Serve as a member of WT’s Leadership Team
- Demonstrate high professional standards and promote good sportsmanship among student athletes of Winchester Thurston School,
- Serve as a representative of WT in the public eye and promote support for the athletic program
- Attend Admission events, Parents of Newly Accepted Students events, Parents’ Nights, and other events to share information and promote the athletics program
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 – 7 years of coaching experience is required; experience as an athletic director and/or with an independent school background is preferred
- Strong knowledge of soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and field hockey
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate, coordinate and manage communication with students, parents, colleagues, coaches, other schools and vendors
- Demonstrated experience in problem-solving, managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines
- Ability to quickly manage and communicate emergent changes to games, schedules, etc.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and contact information for 3 professional references to the following email by January 3, 2020:
Please reference “Director of Athletics” in the subject line of your email.
Winchester Thurston School is an equal opportunity employer. WT is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates, and women.